Off-Peak is an energy management program available to members who choose to install electric space heating or electric water heating loads of at least 8kW. Eligible items are turned off up to 14 hours every weekday, excluding holidays. When a member enrolls in the program, People's Energy Cooperative (PEC) saves money on wholesale power costs and the member is eligible to receive a discounted electric rate, which results in savings on their monthly electric bill.
- Where applicable, members can take advantage of safe, exhaust-free electric heating and/or water heating.
- Electricity costs are at a reduced rate, through the off-peak meter, for all twelve months of the year.
- All energy use through the off-peak meter is tax-exempt from November through April.
- Today's electric grid is "greener" than ever! Using electricity to heat your home and water reduces your carbon footprint more than propane or natural gas.
Here's How It Works:
- Electric heating loads of at least 8 kW are required to participate in the program. Some examples include in-floor heating, large electric water heaters, or ceiling heaters.
- The Cooperative provides a junction box that the member's electrician wires outside of the house. The electrician will also wire in the meter socket and any necessary wiring required to participate in the program.
- Next, PEC installs a load control receiver onto the junction box which will receive the signal to control the heating device(s).
- The receiver will automatically de-energize the devices during the on-peak period.
- At the end of the on-peak period, the receiver will automatically re-energize the devices.
Eligible Items (Loads):
- Electric heating systems of at least 8 kW.
- Electric water heaters with tanks that are at least 100 gallons.
- Electric vehicle level 2, hard-wired charging stations can be added to existing off-peak services.
Energy Management Events:
Energy Management Control occurs each weekday, excluding holidays.
- WINTER SEASON (November - April)
Approximately 5:30 am to 1:00 pm and 3:30 pm to 10:00 pm
- SUMMER SEASON (May - October)
Approximately 11:30 am to 8:30 pm
Year-round, there is always a possibility for our power supplier to call for additional energy management events due to economic situations in additional to the daily control times.