Electric Vehicles and People's Energy Cooperative
Electric vehicles are a growing part of the transportation industry and we want to help you find the information you need to understand what it means to own an electric vehicle. These fact sheets help get you started, and then below we have more information about specific programs you can participate in at People's Energy Cooperative.
PEC Drive$ense Electric Vehicle Charging Program
People's Energy Cooperative is excited to offer a new incentive program called Drive$ense for members who want to purchase an electric vehicle charger to use at their home or business.
These incentives on level 2 electric vehicle chargers and energy rates are available to encourage electric vehicle charging during non-peak energy times. Members can choose between a time-of-use rate or off-peak energy rate, allowing them to charge their electric vehicle when it is most convenient and cost effective for them.
To qualify for this program, you must:
- Be a PEC member and the electric vehicle charger must be installed on cooperative lines.
- Sign PEC's Electric Vehicle Charging Agreement and submit the appropriate rebate form and required documentation.
- Enroll in Drive$ense for a minimum of five years.
- Install a brand-new level 2 hardwired electric vehicle charger (minimum 4.5 kW).
- Provide proof of purchase of an electric vehicle with a minimum charge rating of 4.5 kW.
Funding is limited, and this incentive can be withdrawn at any time without notice. Applications will be processed on a first-come, first-serve basis.
We offer electric vehicle charger rebates for those interested in installing a level two charger in their home. Amounts range from $700-$1,000 depending on the type of charger purchased. Additional information on each rebate is available by clicking on the links below.
There are two incentive rates available for members charging their electric vehicles at home. Participating in either rate may require a second meter to be installed and an additional monthly basic service charge of $5.50 will apply.
Off-Peak offers members a lower cost (6.5 cents/kWh) for charging during off-peak hours, however the hours are more restrictive.
- EV charging times will be available from approximately 9 pm - 2 pm M-F and all hours of the day on weekends and holidays.
- Charging is not available from approximately 2 pm - 9 pm M-F, excluding holidays.
Time-of-Use offers members the opportunity for the lowest cost to charge their EV, with the most flexibility.
- On-Peak: $0.2210/kWh (1 pm - 9 pm M-F, excluding holidays)
- Off-Peak: $0.1008/kWh (6 am - 1 pm Weekdays and all hours on weekends and holidays, excluding overnight)
- Overnight: $0.0580/kWh (9 pm - 6 am all days)
For both rate options, rates and charging times are subject to change from time-to-time.