Dual Fuel Energy Management Program
Dual Fuel is an energy management program available to members who choose to install heating systems with a combination of a primary electric and a secondary propane or natural gas source. The secondary system must be able to automatically provide 100% of the home's heating needs during a peak energy event. When a member participates in the program, People's Energy Cooperative (PEC) saves money on wholesale power costs and the member is eligible to receive a discounted electric rate, which results in savings on their monthly electric bill.
- Electric heat is safe and exhaust-free.
- Electricity costs at a reduced rate, through the dual fuel meter, for all twelve months of the year.
- All energy use through the dual fuel meter is tax exempt from November through April.
- An electric water heater can be added to the dual fuel panel for additional savings on water heating costs.
- Today's electric grid is "greener" than ever! Using electric heat reduces a member's carbon footprint more than propane or natural gas.
Here's How It Works:
- The Cooperative provides a junction box that the member's electrician wires outside of the house. The electrician will also wire in the dual fuel electric panel, meter socket, and any necessary wiring required to participate in the program.
- Next, PEC installs a load control receiver onto the junction box. When a peak energy event occurs, a signal is sent to the receiver.
- During the peak energy event, the receiver will cause the main electric heating to turn off. The member's system will then automatically switch to the backup heating source (propane or natural gas).
- Once the peak energy event is over, the receiver will allow electricity back to the primary electric heating source and the backup heating source will automatically turn off.
Energy Management Events:
- PEAK ENERGY ALERT
- Winter Season
Events generally occur 7:00 am to 11:00 am
Maximum of seven events, with a minimum of one per month in December, January, and February.
- Summer Season
Events generally occur 2:00 pm to 6:00 pm
Maximum of nine events, with a minimum of one per month in June, July, and August
- Winter Season
- ECONOMIC CONTROL
Events generally occur 5:00 pm to 8:00 pm
Events are triggered when market prices exceed calculated thresholds. Events will NOT occur during an already-issued Peak Energy Event day.