Dual Fuel Energy Management Program
Dual Fuel is an energy management program available to members who choose to install heating systems with a combination of a primary electric and secondary propane or natural gas source. The secondary system must be able to automatically provide 100% of the home's heating needs during a peak energy event. When a member participates in the program, People's Energy Cooperative (PEC) saves money on wholesale power costs and the member is eligible to receive a discounted electric rate, which results in savings on their monthly bill.
- Electric heat is safe and exhaust-free.
- Electricity costs at a reduced rate, through the dual fuel meter, for all twelve months of the year.
- All energy use through the dual fuel meter is tax exempt from November through April.
- An electric water heater can be added to the dual fuel panel for additional savings on water heating costs.
- Today's electric grid is "greener" than ever! Using electric heat reduces a member's carbon footprint more than propane or natural gas.
Here's How It Works:
- The Cooperative provides a junction box that the member's electrician wires outside of the house. The electrician will also wire in the dual fuel electric panel, meter socket, and any necessary wiring required to participate in the program.
- Next, PEC installs a load control receiver onto the junction box. When a peak energy event occurs, a signal is sent to the receiver.
- During the peak energy event, the receiver will cause the main electric heating to turn off. The member's system will the automatically switch to the backup heating source (propane or natural gas).
- Once the peak energy event is over, the receiver will allow electricity back to the primary electric heating source and the backup heating source will automatically turn off.
Energy Management Events:
Typical Full Load Control (FLC) events are listed below:
- WINTER SEASON (December, January, February)
Events generally occur 5:00 pm to 8:00 pm
Maximum of three FLC events during the winter
- SUMMER SEASON (June, July, August)
Events generally occur 2:00 pm to 6:00 pm
Minimum of one FLC event per month. Maximum of four FLC events each month, and no more than nine FLC events total during the summer.
In addition, year-round there is always the possibility for our power supplier to call for energy management events due to economic situations, typically lasting for up to four hours.