Through our Off-Peak program, members are eligible to receive a discounted electric rate on their electric heating systems, which also helps the Cooperative save money on our wholesale power costs.
In exchange for the lower rate, PEC is given the ability to keep energy use to a minimum during times where energy on the wholesale market is at its highest.
- Where applicable, members can take advantage of safe, exhaust-free heating and/or water heating.
- Reduced cost electricity through the off-peak meter for all 12 months of the year.
- All usage through the off-peak meter will be tax exempt for six months of the year.
- Today’s electric grid is ‘greener’ than ever, so by using electric heat, you reduce your carbon footprint more than you can with propane or natural gas.
Here's How It Works:
- Loads of at least 8 kW are required.
- The member receives a junction box from the Cooperative that their electrician wires outside of the house. The electrician will also wire in an off-peak electrical panel and meter socket to the junction box.
- The electrician will also wire the heating system, water heater, or electrical vehicle charger to the off-peak panel.
- PEC then installs a receiver onto the junction box and a meter into the meter socket.
- During an energy management event, the receiver will cause the panel to lose power for the duration of the event.
- Once the event is done, the receiver will allow power back to the panel.
- Electric heating systems of at least 8 kW.
- Electric water heaters with tanks that are at least 80 gallons.
- Hard-wired level two electrical vehicle chargers.
Energy Management Events:
- On this program, events occur each week day, except for holidays. The season we are in determines the time.
- During the winter season, months November through April, there are two events each day. One from 5:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m., and then another from 3:00 p.m. to 11:30 p.m.