Through our Off-Peak Energy Management Program, members are eligible to receive a discounted electric rate when they allow eligible items (such as a heating system or water heater) to be turned off during times of peak energy demand every weekday, except for holidays.
In exchange for a lower rate, PEC manages energy use during times when energy costs on the wholesale market are at their highest. This not only helps the member save money, but helps the Cooperative save on wholesale power costs.
- Where applicable, members can take advantage of safe, exhaust-free heating and/or water heating.
- Reduced cost electricity through the off-peak meter for all 12 months of the year.
- All usage through the off-peak meter will be tax exempt for six months of the year.
- Today’s electric grid is ‘greener’ than ever, so by using electric heat, you reduce your carbon footprint more than you can with propane or natural gas.
Here's How It Works:
- Loads of at least 8 kW are required.
- The member receives a junction box from the Cooperative that their electrician wires outside of the house. The electrician will also wire in a meter socket and electrical panel if needed.
- PEC then installs a receiver onto the junction box to get the signal during energy management events.
- During an energy management event, the receiver will cause the off-peak items to lose power for the duration of the event.
- Once the event is done, the receiver will allow power back to the off peak items.
- Electric heating systems of at least 8 kW.
- Electric water heaters with tanks that are at least 100 gallons.
Energy Management Events:
- On this program, emergency management events occur each week day, except for holidays. The season we are in determines the time.
- During the winter season (November through April), events run from approximately 5:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. and approximately 3:30 p.m. to 10:00 p.m.
- During the summer season (May through October), events run from approximately 11:30 a.m. to 8:30 p.m.